AboutSt. Jean de Brébeuf
St. Jean de Brébeuf Church is located at 2466 County Road 36, approximately 4 km north of Buckhorn. Please join us for Holy Mass on Saturdays and on Sundays.
Weekend Holy Mass is celebrated Saturday at 5:00 pm year round.
Canada Day to Labour Day additional Sunday Masses at 9:00 am.
We invite you to view our Mass Schedule page for additional information.
In 1911, Harvey Township became the mission of St. Paul the Apostle Parish, Lakefield during the pastorate of Father John J. O’Brien. From the 1860’s, itinerant priests heard Confessions and celebrated Holy Eucharist in the residences of the Pluard family. In 1931, the newly appointed Bishop Denis O’Connor requested the construction of a mission chapel in Harvey Township. A piece of land on the ninth lot of the sixteenth concession of Harvey Township was donated by Frederick Pluard and a chapel measuring 36 by 20 feet was built on a cement foundation. Furnishings were provided by the Cathedral Church of St. Peter-in-Chains, St. Paul the Apostle Church, Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, and St. Joseph Church, Douro. The interior of the church was painted by then seminarians Francis Marrocco, Charlie Kay and Gil Kay. The new church was blessed by Bishop O’Connor on August 29, 1931.
Since 1931, this small church has prospered through the devotion and generosity of year round and summer parishioners. During its history,
St. John de Brébeuf Church has celebrated many milestones of faith including the installation of stained-glass windows (1986), the presentation of the Papal Benemerenti Medal to Anna Pluard for her 30+ years as chief caretaker of the church (1986), and the extension and redesign of the altar area with prominence given to the tabernacle and statue of our Blessed Lady (1991). In 2000, a large off-road parking lot was completed with a mounted plaque dedicated to the celebration of a lifetime of service and devotion to the church of Anna and Fred Pluard, and Viola and Clifford Guthrie. In 2006, a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the church was commemorated with the installation and blessing of a vestry stained glass window in memory of B. Edmund Nelligan, and a repainting and re-carpeting of the building. In 2007, a white cross was erected and blessed in the side lawn flowerbed in memory of Mary (Pluard) Laevens and other deceased members of the
St. John de Brébeuf community.
St. Paul the Apostle Parish
St. Jean Brébeuf Church,
Our Lady of Good Counsel Church
4 Reid Street, P.O. Box 462,
Father Raymond Rick
About St. Paul the Apostle Parish
Our parish serves northeast Selwyn township and the northern Kawarthas and is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Peterborough. It includes St. Paul the Apostle Church (Lakefield), St, Jean de Brébeuf Church (Buckhorn) and Our Lady of Good Counsel Church (Young’s Point).
Whether you are a resident of the area or a welcomed guest, we offer many opportunities for worship, spiritual growth and Christian formation.
If you are new to our community or would like to visit one of our weekend celebrations, please see the Mass Schedules page for detailed Mass times and locations.